Bright and early Monday morning, Dally and her crew (Scribbles, Keebler, Gus, Hope, and Aussie) hit the road West towards Reno, Nev., with Roger at the wheel. The set-up in the Rav4 was this: crates piled on top of the car, Keebler (Pembroke with a tail) and Scribbles (French Bulldog) harnessed in the front seat, Gus (Papillon) and Aussie (Australian Shepherd) in their respective crates in the back, and Dally and Hope (Pembroke) loose in the back. Yep...six dogs, one man. He's a patient man!
Here's the map of Roger's drive from Columbus, Ohio, to Reno: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3785+Timberland+Drive,+Columbus,+OH+43230&daddr=1350+North+Wells+Avenue,+Reno,+NV+89512&hl=en&sll=40.072985,-82.9164&sspn=0.009967,0.022724&geocode=FRl3YwId0MsO-ykd_XiWooo4iDHIqUJ9eZF0qw%3BFaleWwIdRPjb-CkfM1TCREeZgDEjhOSBkSGZJQ&mra=ls&t=m&z=5
Monday, the first part of the trip, saw Roger drive from Columbus to North Platte, Neb., where he finally stopped after perhaps a 17-hour drive, and stayed at a La Quinta Inn and enjoyed a jacuzzi. Bright and early this morning, it took him an hour to walk the dogs and pack up the crates and the dogs in car, then off he went, driving through parts of Wyoming (where, by the way, gas is $3.34 a gallon), and into Utah. He stopped tonight in Salt Lake City, where he could stay at a La Quinta (that, thankfully, allows him in one room with six dogs!) and relax before tackling the last 8 hours to Reno. Which is a good thing, because I just got a notice on my Weather Bug app on my iPhone that there is a wind advisory for Reno and surrounding areas tomorrow--he'll need all the strength he has to drive into that!
Speaking of weather and Reno...trying to pack for this thing, in only one small suitcase, is hard!! I checked the extended forecast for Reno and I'd like to know how it can be in the 50s and snowing!? Seriously! I'm not joking... The highs while we're there range from 50s and low 60s, with the lows in the 30s. Crazy times! Plus, I was reminded by a friend that lives in Reno that the air is thinner since they are up in the mountains. It will be interesting to see how I handle the thinner air while doing agility (sprints) and when Camille and I attempt to run at least once for my half marathon training. It'll be more interesting to see how the dogs handle the thinner air, though. I don't know if I see a difference, but that'll definitely be something I'm going to look at and maybe try to talk to some handlers about how the thinner air affects their dogs.
More to come....I'm counting down the hours until I'm in the air and flying to my Corg!!