Thursday, February 6, 2014

Common Courtesy: Shovel Your Sidewalk

This is more of a public service announcement than a blog post today, but I got to thinking I wanted to do a little (harmless) griping while trying to walk my two, stump-legged pups the other evening.
Most of the United States has been hit with winter storm after winter storm. Kentucky is no different. But some times my dogs just don't understand why the "conditions aren't right" for their daily walk. Monday I was able to pay snow tennie with them for a good 30 minutes to wear them out in the deep snow in our backyard--no problem there. Tuesday saw a quick tennie session before I headed to CrossFit with a promise of a walk afterwards, but then the ice storm came. So Wednesday I bundled up and decided we could handle a simple 1.5 mile walk for us to get some fresh air. WRONG.
Now I understand that shoveling isn't fun. Growing up in the country, we rarely shoveled, unless we were trying to make a path for the wheelbarrow at the barn. Most of the time we relied on neighbors with plows and our mechanical snow blower. But now that I live in the suburbs, I've learned the joys of shoveling your driveway, and your sidewalks, and some times your neighbor's place. It's a good workout. And I know some of the older folk can't easily shovel, that's why M and I used to do our old neighbor's driveway all the time in our old neighborhood. But it's just common courtesy to shovel your sidewalk.
If you're already shoveling your driveway, what difference does a couple more minutes make to shovel the sidewalk? 
It's a safety concern for everyone--delivery people, trash people, and your neighbors who have to walk along the side of the road for one reason or another.
Even just one swipe with the shovel can make a big difference
on the sidewalk. It's better than nothing.
There were times, due to the icy snow, that I had to actually pick Dally up and carry her to the next clean area. Sure I got some extra calorie burning there, but it's sad to watch her struggle with her 4" long legs (and "tender toes" as we say) struggle over the messy sidewalks.
It's pretty sad when it's safer/easier to walk my dogs in the middle of the snowplowed streets than the sidewalks. As a runner, I also know how hard it is to run on sidewalks or roads that are not plowed or taken care of.
If you can't physically do the shoveling yourself, I know there are always neighborhood kids looking to earn a couple extra dollars to do so (I was asked by some last week, in fact). Help an entrepreneur out.
OK…stepping off my soap box. You may return to your regularly scheduled blog reading. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment